NorCal Dermatology is your reliable Santa Rosa dermatologist when you have concerns about skin cancer. Dr. Khanh Truong and Dr. Henry DeGroot are specially trained to perform Mohs surgery in Santa Rosa, CA, to remove cancer cells and keep you healthy. Read more about Mohs surgery and contact us today to learn more about your skin cancer removal options.
What Is Mohs Surgery?
Mohs surgery also called micrographic surgery, removes skin cells layer by layer to be examined and ensure skin cancer cells are eradicated. This technique developed by Dr. Frederic Mohs has a high cure rate for some skin cancers and results in less visible scarring.
Micrographic surgery providers are trained in dermatology and pathology, so they can remove a single layer of skin cells and immediately examine them microscopically. This allows them to see any evidence of remaining cancer cells that are invisible to the naked eye. We do this to ensure they are eliminated and prevent recurrences. Removing all the cancer cells is always the priority, but this technique also preserves more healthy skin to make scarring less obvious.
When Is Mohs Surgery Recommended?
Mohs surgery is very effective but not recommended in all skin cancer cases. If you are diagnosed with melanoma, they are more aggressive and you will likely need an excision for treatment. Mohs surgery is highly recommended for:
- Basal cell and squamous cell cancers - Mohs surgery has been shown to have a high cure rate and low recurrence rate for these cancers
- Sensitive or delicate skin - if you need removal on skin that is very thin or delicate, like face or neck skin
- Rapidly spreading cancers
- Cancers covering a large area
- Cancers that have been treated previously - examining the tissue microscopically helps ensure the entire tumor has been removed to prevent the regrowth of cancer cells
Get Mohs Surgery in Santa Rosa, CA
If you have been diagnosed with skin cancer, NorCal Dermatology specializes in Mohs surgery in Santa Rosa, CA, to remove cancer and preserve your skin. Contact us for an appointment now at (707) 527-9517.